[Harp-L] Amp Mod - Changing the speaker tap on a Silver Face Fender

I decided to replace the RCA speaker tap in my 1970 Champ with a 1/4 inch
phone plug. I drove around town until I found Switchcraft parts, and went
home and heated up my soldering iron.

The neck of the female connector fits perfectly in the existing chassis hole
for the RCA tap. I'm not the best solderer in the world, so I'll have my
tech hit it again the next time I take it in for anything.

Here's a pic:

http://www.davisbluesproject.com/pics/plugfemale.gif

Here is the business end of the speaker plug:

http://www.davisbluesproject.com/pics/plugmale.gif

And here is the reason I went through all this:

http://www.davisbluesproject.com/pics/champcab.gif

I wanted to try using my little 5-watt Fender Champ to drive the Avatar 2x10
closed back cab, using a normal instrument cable.  The cab has two low-watt
inexpensive (read; Cheap) ceramic speakers: A Jensen Mod 10-35 w/ribbed cone
and a Weber Sig 10-25 w/straight cone.  Niether are broken in yet.  Later
I'll be using the cab with a 2x6L6 40-watt amp head, but I wanted to see how
the Champ sounded with it.

Here is a very brief sound clip.  I threw a condenser mic in front of the
cab and recorded it dry with zero EQ or FX:

http://www.davisbluesproject.com/music/avatar.mp3

With a little tweaking this cab might sound pretty good.  I know you cannot
tell from the clip, but the litttle Champ sounded huge plugged into it.
Amazing for 5 watts...

-Spec20