Subject:RE: [Harp-L] Kris Kristofferson playing harp with/withoutThe Highwaymen

Thanks to you and pdxharpdog for the Mickey Raphael confirmation.

weeeeellll...don't disagree with you about Kris' voice (nor any of the
others' voices) not being 'the best', but I certainly don't think that they
'murdered' the song, since I quite enjoyed it and an awful lot of  people as well
seemed to enjoy that particular version (over 27,000  hits on YouTube and
counting).....but perfect vocals were never what The  Highwaymen were ever about.

What was (and is) so cool about people like Willie Nelson, Kris
Kristofferson (the remaining two), and Johnny Cash/Waylon Jennings - those now
gone....were their song-writing, personalities and ability to 'sell' the  emotions of
the song in live performance.

 On the sped-up cover of "Help Me Make It Through the Night", they  were
simply having fun with each other during a show.  I rarely watch one  of these
YouTube clips without keeping in mind that it's a single  clip taken from what
was a much longer concert, usually videotaped by a fan and  posted without
knowledge of the singer(s)... so shouldn't be viewed as  though it 'stood alone' or
was issued by the artist as a video.  A  song led into that song....another
followed. Those who have the VHS/DVD's could  probably shed further light on
the concert.  For all I know they were doing  a 'speed through' synopsis of
several of their individual biggest hits.  Almost all artists who have survived
for generations do this at some point in  their Live concerts...

Willie's still touring, even at his age...drawing huge crowds, because he
still has an enormous following.  People don't turn out like this and  lay down
their money out of mere curiosity...but because they  genuinely like what they
hear.  "I" genuinely like what I hear...whether  it's slightly flat or
not...how else to explain Dylan's appeal for 5  decades as well?

Some other off key people grate on my ears...Dylan doesn't...nor do any of
these guys.

Rita was amazing in this video (my first time seeing it), but I was paying
special attention to Kristofferson's voice harmonizing with her, and he was
good!

 Some people seem not to know just who wrote these songs and why the
songwriter has a perfect right to sing it during a show...especially as they get
older.  They're rightly proud of their work...since too many songwriters  were
cheated out of their dues back in the day.  This way they get to flat  out
declare: "I wrote this" to an audience..and is one reason (I believe)...the
Highwaymen men were out touring to huge sell-out audiences...people were  getting to
hear their favourite songs by the guys who wrote them.

Kris Kristofferson has always had terrific appeal as a performer  over his
long career. What some people reply to on his YouTube  videos are the
unnecessary negative comments.  I mean...comparing his voice and then
Willie's version of 'Always on My Mind' to Elvis? I also thought that in  the
YouTube comments, people were finding the 'performance' breathtaking, rather  than
his voice, per se.

Just as there seems to be enormous differences in 'taste' for  harp-players
here on harp-l, there is too in what makes a vocalist 'good' or  not.  Life
would be a tad too 'cookie cutter' for me if we all liked and  played the same
music, so Vive la difference.

Personally, I'd rather listen to Kris Kristofferson/Willie Nelson/Johnny
Carter/Waylon Jennings sing the songs they wrote (for better or worse) than  some
studio-manufactured pretty boy (or girl) lip syncing to a big hit he  or she
couldn't possibly follow through on in front of an audience. I  understand
that almost anyone can be made to sound good vocally with the magic  that goes on
in a Studio...so I'll take the real thing any time. Just  my take on it. YMMV.

Elizabeth

"Message: 10