Re: [Harp-L] crystal repairs

A few years ago I had an MC151 die on me, and I hadn't even dropped it. Most people would have had a brief funeral for it, but of course I did an autopsy. Inside, I found a dark-colored wafer-like element (the crystal?) had fallen off the narrow two-sided ledge that it's supposed to precariously reside on, secured by a little metal springy clip that also serves as an electrical connection (internally). I could immediately see how one bounce off the floor would knock it off. It was a finicky task, but I put everything back like it was obviously supposed to be and reassembled the cartridge. It's still my strongest and best sounding "crystal" (although my current favorite is a black label CR that Sonny Jr sent me). I was stoked about repairing it, and even offered to fix them for others on this list and and the Weber amp discussion board. One seemingly especially-mean person there warned everyone there that I was a blatant liar....putting it nicely...... and no one on this list even wanted to risk the tremendous blow to their budget that it would cost to mail me their dead element (what....maybe a buck?) to do a free autopsy on theirs (and either fix it for a small fee-- or perform the burial). I was hoping to examine more subjects, and do something nice for other harmonica players, but was ignored. But I digress.

Later MC151's used MC127 housings with a sticker labeling them as MC151. My "crystal" didn't have any appearance of a white salt and may not have actually been a crystal. I don't know.... I called it that because that was what it was supposed to be, and I didn't know any better. There was a rumour I heard later from Stephen S. that he'd heard somewhere that Astatic just stuck the stickers on them- they were actually just relabled ceramics. If you have a dead one, it's worth looking into, no? Mine certainly sounds GREAT. And no, the offer isn't still good.

JS