[Harp-L] Volume Control

I play amplified harp in a band. I used to play with bullet mics with VCs. I have heard that VCs degrade the tone, but I don't know why, or even if it's true. Possibly some do and some don't. I was told that I would be better off tone-wise using a volume pedal, like an Ernie Ball but, again, I don't know if this was sound advice. I have long since switched to vintage Shure 545s with an on-off switch. I honestly do not miss the VC. I *certainly* don't miss it enough to mod the mic or deal with the extra length that an add-on VC would entail.

Having said that, I would not want to play amplified without either a VC or an on-off switch.

Let us know how it goes with the new Greg Heumann VC and especially whether you perceive any difference in tone.

George

Well I guess that IS the question I was trying to ask. Why would you _not_
want to use some kind of volume control? So I'm asking. Is there anyone out
there who plays amplified harp in a band that chooses not to use a VC of some
kind for their mic and why?

I use one most of the time and about half of my mics have them built in but
I can't help feeling that it compromises my sound in some way. I just recently
got a "BlowsMeAway" from Greg Heumann and I can't wait to try it in a gig
situation.