Re: [Harp-L] Johnson Laredo to Special 20 and list

Walter-

I went back and listened to some Rishell & Raines to refresh my memory of
her great tone.  I'm not sure what her rig is, but it sounds like a
Bassman.  I listened to their cut from Blues Harp Greats, Ol' Heartbreak.
Killer stuff!

You should be able to get a close approximation of that tone with your
Johnson Laredo.  My buddy with the Laredo just killed with some SBW licks
and tone.  But you might have to tinker a bit.

The first step is to make sure you get a tight cup on your mic, like Annie
Raines.  This doesn't mean you need to strangle it in a death grip; just try
to get as complete a seal as possible. The next step is to retube.  I'd
really like to hear what your techie buddy suggests after he plays your amp.

Other things I have done that have helped me get the tone I want:  Using an
EQ pedal between the mic and the amp.  I use the Boss GE-7, so I can contour
the tone a lot more than just the bass/treble controls on most amps.  This
made a huge difference.  This pedal also has an output level control, so you
can boost the signal to your amp a bit if you need to.  Changing
speakers also can make a huge difference.  I prefer low-watt, smooth cone
alnico speakers for harp; very warm and crunchy.  The Weber 10A125-O would
get you a long way toward where you want to be.  But now we are talking some
money...  The pedal and speaker are both about $100.

Disconnecting the negative feedback loop in your tube amp will also give you
a grittier sound.  (I'm not sure the Laredo has a NFB loop, but I do this on
all my vintage amps.)  Also, I prefer delay instead of reverb, so I use a
pedal for that, too.

I have not had good luck playing harp through Ampeg amps.  My first good
harp amp was an Ampeg B15-N flip-top stack.  I just couild not get it to
break up just right.  Same with other Ampegs I have tried.  If it were me,
I'd sell the Vox and the Ampeg and buy a medium sized vintage or specialty
tube amp for harp.  You already have the smallish amp with the Laredo, and
with a little tinkering it should sound nice and crunchy.

BTW, my name is Rick.  I sent a friend request to your myspace site.  I am
not a pro harp player (although I made a living at if a few years ago).  I'm
just a player who loves the tone, and loves tinkering with gear.

Let me know how the Laredo turns out.  Don't give up on it just yet.

-Spec20