Fwd: [Harp-L] power tube distortion (was Johnson Laredo to Special 20 and list)

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Walter Joyce <wtjoyce45@...> wrote:

<snip>

As for the myth of switching preamp tubes, I agree that probably goes to guitars. The
friend I am meeting with next week is both an accomplished guitar player and harp player
and has been a gear head for years. His approach is empirical with a pretty solid technical
base to work off of, so if switching preamp tubes to affect harp tone was a myth I think he
would know that.

<snip>

Walter Joyce

Hi, Walter.
This is really just an aside, but for clarity, I never suggested that changing preamp tubes
does not affect harp tone.  The info I shared was specifically about using lower gain
preamp tubes to drive the power tubes harder.  As I said, I'm no expert.  As I read Mike
Kroptkin's FAQ, he says that, for guitars at least, lower gain preamps can't drive the power
tubes harder.  So, the question is how that might be different for harp.  If lower gain
preamp tubes allow the ACTUAL gain to be higher (because less feedback allows the
volume knob to be raised), then I can see that the power tubes would be driven harder.  I
just don't know enough about electronics to know if that's true.  I wouldn't be surprised if
someone (or more) here on the list do know that for a fact.  In a sense, the question is
academic -- swap preamp tubes until happy with sound!
Be well.
And I echo Walter's gratitude for the generosity of list members.
--John K.