[Harp-L] Re: Johnson Laredo

I've got a Laredo as well.  Good bangs for the buck.

I'm currently running mine with 1 x 12AY7 (EH) and 1 x 12AU7 (JJ Tesla) in the pre-amp, but I've taken to turning the volume knob up really high (8 or 9) and then using the gain knob to control the output volume.  I don't need to run it flat out, and this seems to give better tone.

I'm also shopping for a new speaker 'cause I don't think the one that it comes with is all that flash, and I'm also building a 2 x 10 cab that might finish up as a 2 x 8 if I can't get the 10" speakers I want.  That should be interesting addition to the Laredo.

I use a GB 520DX, an Eggstatic and a couple of vocal mics, depending  on how I feel.  The 520DX is the 'dirtiest' of that lot, but each mic runs very different amp settings.

I don't think the solid state rectifier and subsequent lack of 'sag' kills off too much tone.  Many so called 'all tube' amps, including a number of Peavey and Fender models, run SS rectifiers.

YMMV, but there are a lot of variables in getting that tone, including amp settings, pre-amp tube selection, speaker selection, mic selection and of course that trivial factor - the dude blowin' the harp.  The tone in my Laredo is mainly limited by the latter.  It is certainly got better tone than the various SS amps we have floating around the house (I've got kids with guitars).

Good luck on the tone hunt.  I think the Laredo is a viable place to start.

Cheers

Maka