Re: [Harp-L] Volume Control

Mudharp@xxxxxxx wrote:

Lots of pluses and minuses regarding volume controls on harp microphones.
It's a plus to be able to roll back volume a little when your just comping and
then open it up full blast when blowing a solo. The trade off is signal loss
but I guess there are ways to compensate for that. I've heard mixed opinions
-- hard core purists that I know say you should be able to control your
volume with breath control and hand shaping the same way the Walters did

i've heard the arguments, but i don't understand why i would *not* want volume control. anything that gives me more control is a good thing. although mostly i use it as an on/off switch. given the crowded stage conditions, it's nice to be able to shut it down and not have to worry about feedback if i wander too close to the speakers. i've seen too many harp players doing contortions to keep the mic out of the way when they need to adjust something.

--
Optimism and pessimism don't exist for me.
I'm a blues man.  I am a prisoner of hope.