[Harp-L] Re: Rank Amateur Question - Do I have a couple of bad harps?

Hi Bill,

I don't know if anyone has made this suggestion yet, but one way to
tell whether the problem is with the reeds or with your technique relative
to the harmonicas in question, is to play a full chord - say holes 1 through
4 draw all together. If you can hear the problem reeds (they were holes 2
and 3 draw, weren't they?) playing amidst the other reeds, then these reeds
are ok; the reason being that it's easier to keep one's vocal tract open and
unconstricted by tongue or throat muscles while playing a chord than while
attempting to play single notes. Over constricting the airflow in the mouth
and/or throat is perhaps the most common error that can prevent some low
draw notes from playing properly.

I used to suggest to players who telephoned Hohner with this complaint, that
they speak something in a deep, resonant voice, rather like a radio
announcer or opera singer, then maintain this posture while playing the
problem notes.  More often than not this would solve their problem right
there over the phone and give them a pointer toward improving their overall
tone.

Best regards,
Rick