Re: [Harp-L] fame

gg,

I listened to your mp3 and was quite impressed, you obviously have the musical EARS, CHOPS and PHRASING to make a hit record. Unfortunately, as you may have seen on the Grammys last night-that is only a SMALL part of was is required to "make it" in the mass market.

Chris Botti played in my band when he 1st came to NY....he is a VERY talented Trumpet player but so are a few thousand other Trumpeters in NYC. What does Chris have that they don't? Whew we could spend a lot on time on all this if we really wanted to analyze it.

Probably, coming to NY was good start...it's sad but true...your just not gonna get to play for those "industry" people in a small town or suburb area...you need to BE where the action is.

However, please don't mistake that for a guarantee of success, many have made the trek to Nashville, NY and LA with high hopes and TONS of talent, only to have their egos crushed by the UGLY side of Music (usually known as THE BIZ!)

The BIZ is about TRENDS & PACKAGING period....thank God though every once and a while a TRUE original will come along and break that trend with the insight of a GREAT producer. Where are the great producers hiding out???? you got it...location location location....and then timing and then a little luck won't hurt too,-)

In Botti's case the producer is ex-Blood Sweat and Tears Drummer, Bobby Colomby. Bobby is the one that put Jaco on the map by producer his CBS debut lp. He is doing wonderful things with Chris Botti as well.

Bruce Springsteen grew up here in the New Jersey suburbs....we played together in our early 20's but it wasn't til a mutual musician friend of ours drove Bruce in to NYC one rainy Sunday to play for an old man with a good track record at CBS....that he became the BOSS...that old man was the dad a a great bluesman and HARMONICIST(Jr.)-the late John Hammond Sr.

I don't write all this to discourage but to ENCOURAGE you to KEEP the faith, NEVER quit or give up that dream....my philosophy has always been if you stay in this BIZ long enough you HAVE made it and good things will follow everyday.....forget that fast track crap...it will only frustrate and stand in the way of your making GREAT music which should always be your main focus....don't go for the GLITZ go for the GOLD....

Follow your HEART the answers in there not on Harp-L but WE will support you in anyway you need as we play YOUR instrument....

My initial reaction is you need a producer and some good material.....also, LOSE the attitude the I'm GOOD so I deserve this more than anyone... THAT is a "turn off"...be yourself and yes be CONFIDENT and respect your comrades we are ALL in this together! I hope you found this a bit painful but HELPFUL ,-).....go get 'em!

Love & Peace and GOOD LUCK my Friend
Rob Paparozzi
www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

----- Original Message ----- From: "groovy gypsy" <groovygypsy@xxxxxxxxx>