Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Music for harp from Islay

Och, Aye Gary....it might also be called 'a wee deoch 'n doris'   :)

...and yes, BBoggs, I do believe there is at least one Scottish song that
works for Islay:  'Westering Home'...which I played on my harmonica as a  kid,
so no, you don't have to write your own ;)

Almost any of the traditional Scots songs work very well on a  harmonica.

There was a fairly recent slidemeister discussion about Westering  Home.  For
some reason some books list it as Irish Trad, but it most  certainly is
Scots. The name "Isla" is Islay.

It begins on 5draw on a C chromatic  - 12 hole, but 1 on a 16  hole..(well,
the 2nd "1" on a Super 64 to keep it nice and low), to play along  with the
guitarist/singer in this YouTube clip.  If you'd like it tabbed  out, I'll do
so...but I've usually played it beginning on 3blow and just a bit  faster than he
does.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5QIzdaIwiE_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5QIzdaIwiE)

Westering Home

Westering Home is a work which is often sung  by such stalwarts as Kenneth
McKellar - but it still speaks to wanderers the  world over who dream of
returning home.

Westering Home
(Chorus)
And it's westering home, and a song in the air,
Light in the eye, and it's goodbye to care.
Laughter o' love, and a welcoming there,
Isle of my heart, my own one.
Tell me o' lands o' the Orient gay,
Speak o' the riches and joys o' Cathay;
Eh, but it's grand to be wakin' ilk day
To find yourself nearer to Isla.
Where are the folk like the folk o' the west?
Canty, and couthy, and kindly, the best.
There I would hie me and there I would rest
At hame wi' my ain folk in Isla.
Return to the Index of Traditional Scottish Songs
_http://www.rampantscotland.com/songs/blsongs_westering.htm_
(http://www.rampantscotland.com/songs/blsongs_westering.htm)

and there is another song I'm not familiar with called "In Praise of
Isla"..sung by Andy Stewart on this particular album (it also has Westering  Home and
a lot of other Scottish favourites)

_http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=300;1;3;-1&sku=59836
1_
(http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=300;1;3;-1&sku=598361)