[Harp-L] Re: To be a pro

We all want the fast track, there is none, except gathering materials like
from Jerry Portnoy or David Barrett to get you past the point of where you are
at, which is probably playing the same runs, no clue on where your air comes
from, but at some point you need to be pushed farther ahead, and it takes
TIME  and PRACTICE. I mean hours of it, not just noodling with what you know ,
but  exercises that will help you build different solos. I think we all
understand  that when you go see someone play, within the first 16 bars you know what
tone  they have, and if they are going to come up with creative ideas other
than the  basic stuff. To get ready to just perform as a guest artist I will
spend from  April to June, Dave's seminar, with 3 hour practice sessions just to
feel  comfortable as I do not play out and get that practice of having my wind
all the  time. Life can get in the way, this business, and many other
factors, just my  take on it. Many have said after just those basic You Tube clips
they now  understand the difference between playing along with the record, and
thinking  you are sounding the same, and purity of notes and tone. I thought I
played  mediocre at best, but I am my worst critic which keeps me pushing
myself  hopefully farther.

48)