[Harp-L] Counterpoint

One element in the discuusion of counterpoint that hasn't been mentioned here is that it is often characterized by the rhythmic independence of the voices. If you want o read up on it, the classic tome is Fux's "The Study of Counterpoint," published in 1725 and still in print (Norton). It explains the 5 formal species of counterpoint and says 6 of the 7 chruch modes can be used (the Lochrian mode is out-sorry about the tritone between 1 and b5).

I think Sam Hinton came closer than anyone else to playing the harmonica contrapuntally, but his techinigue-varying his mouth opening from 3 to 5 holes and playing either melody with chords, wide intevals, or wide intervals with chords-is so crazy I can't begin to do it. His record, produced by pianist George Winston, is a must-have, jaw-dropper of a CD. He must have mentioned here before.

-Glenn Weiser