Re: [Harp-L] Counterpoint / harp ??

While I concur with everything Vern said, it is possible to play counterpoint
on the diatonic either as an alternating bass "melody" with an alternating
treble melody. This works because the ear hears   a   continuous bass melody
even when a bass melody is not played continuously. The trick is to keep it
going. Choppy playing will sound like someone playing a melody with some bass notes
inserted. It's kind of like chord vamping through tongue blocking only
instead of a chord, a note or phrase is used in a different register (low octave) on
the diatonic.

The other variety of counterpoint is the kind of remarkable things Richard
Hunter plays, with simultaneous bass lines and treble lines. Check out his web
site. There also may be some further   information is his Jazz Harp (book & CD)
$17.95 -- available online wherever good books are sold.

Phil