Re: [Harp-L] The Top Three Holes

Yes. The entire airway is an acoustic chamber under your control. It is really important in the top register to get a good tone, but even more important is playing gingerly. You can get great sounding bends and good control over them if you play very gently. If you have to play hard to get your bends in the upper register, you are not using your tongue correctly. Think of the doctor and his tongue depresser. Also, don't try to play loud or you will sound shrill. Remember what your amp is for!

One of the problems with the upper register in blues is that a number of notes that you can play in the lower registers are unavailable in the upper register, most notably the minor third and flatted fifth. This can be overcome by playing Overdraw (OD) to get the missing notes, or using a (half) valved instrument.

In reading this thread, I have an idea and am curious if anyone has tried it. I play mostly valved instruments but I also play OB/OD, but I am not very happy with my OD in the upper register after having worked on it for a long time but I really like OB in the lower registers.

My idea is valving 7 - 10 on an OB instrument. Has anyone tried that? Any reason why it wouldn't it work? Can anyone share his experience with me playing OD and sounding good in the upper registers?

-LM