Re: [Harp-L] First Position Blues

I don't know whether this has been mentioned yet in this thread, but the Harmonicats recorded a brilliant swing-style blues called "Harmonica Boogie" with a first position diatonic solo by the amazing Don Les.

Les's diatonic tone was clear and his lines were fluid and joyful, reminiscent of swing-era clarinetists like Benny Goodman.  His first position work on the diatonic was unique and beautiful, certainly on a par in terms of execution and originality with any other player one could name.

I transcribed Les's solo from "Harmonica Boogie" in my book Jazz Harp.  I smile every time I think of that solo--I have to go all the way to John Popper's work on "Runaround" to remember a harp solo with more pure joy in it.

Regards, Richard Hunter
latest mp3s always on broadjam.com/rhunter