Re: [Harp-L] Harp and Sax

Ken Deifik wrote:
<The real work, it'd seem to me, would be to work with the organ player <to
<carefully identify a few sets of organ stops that sound gracious with <your
<harmonica sound.

True. Amped harp puts out a lot of energy in the 500 Hz-3 kHz range, and organ can really saturate that space (or just about any other).

I'd just make sure the mix engineer understands that the harp is supposed to be heard. A lot of mix engineers will automatically drop the harp back or thin out the midrange frequencies if there's a conflict, I guess on the assumption that harp isn't supposed to sound very good anyway. That will just make the harp sound thin and weak, no matter how well it's played.

Some very esteemed members of this list have described similar situations to me on a number of occasions--in two cases, on records that were the harp player's own production and showcase!

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter