Re: [Harp-L] The Price of Harmonicas

I agree with L'il Buddha that the price of a full set of custom harps is less that the price of many other pro instruments. And the off the shelf instruments, which most players use, are even more reasonable.  At about $30 apiece, a player can have a full set of decent quality standard diatonics, Natural Minors, and Country Tuned harps for a little over $1000.  If you only want the standards, it's much less than $400.  And you can buy them one at a time if that's what your budget supports.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  This is the Golden Age for harp players where gear is concerned.  Playable diatonic harmonicas are available for less than $20; instruments of increasing quality are available from $30 to $200. Very good chromatics start at $125 and go up from there.  Perfectly usable small amps suitable for stage or studio work can be purchased for $100-$200; full-bore boutique amps designed expressly for harp players who want plenty of watts on stage can be had for $700-$2000.  Amp modeling technology puts the equivalent of 6-12 very good amps and a dozen effects in the hands of a player for $150 and down. Microphones designed expressly for harp players start at $100, and the build and sound quality even in that range is outstanding.

Players in every price range, from budget to boutique, can get quality gear easily. Thanks to the Internet, all of us can learn about great gear, find it wherever it's for sale, and acquire it easily no matter where we live.

People talk about how great gear was in the '50s, '60s, etc. Anyone who thinks harp players had it better then needs to ask their doctor for a different medication.  I don't know how long this incredible bounty will last, but believe me when I say that in every possible way--price, performance, availability, knowledgeable support, you name it--harp players have it much, MUCH better now where gear is concerned than ever.

Regards, Richard Hunter