[Harp-L] The price of harmonicas

Dave said:

"And, in the 1940s, the exchange rate was three marks to one dollar. When I was going to school in Europe in 1997, the exchange rate was was 1.7 marks to one dollar. That's a lot of price increase before inflation is factored in."

I went to Germany a couple of times during that same time and Dave is absolutely correct, the exchange rate for Marks to Dollars was very consistand at 1.7 to the dollar (the lowest I recall was 1.43 M to the Dollar).  Great for us, bad for them.  We could buy a lot more stuff at that time.

Now, they are buying (and I haven't checked the Euro in a while) at nearly 50 cents on the dollar (more likely 65 cents on the dollar).....that's why a lot of the guys in business in this industry are experiencing a larger number of international purchases over US sales even with the higher rates for the USPS shipping costs.  Their Euro goes a lot farther than it used to.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Spoor    Owner/Maker
317-894-8699 Shop