Re: [Harp-L] The price of harmonicas

On Aug 29, 2008, at 11:23 PM, David Payne wrote:

It's not just you, but the real cost of harmonicas hasn't changed all that much. what has changed is the value of the American dollar. Time is right for Kratt to start making harps again in New Jersey.

  Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
  www.elkriverharmonicas.com

When they did the Mr. Roger's Neighborhood episode on harmonicas, they (Rogers & McFeeley) went to a plant on the east coast. The piano & harmonica was dubbed in later at WQED in Pittsburgh. Whether it was Kratt or not, I don't know. The machinery was so antiquated that I don't believe it had even a couple years useful life left in it. And that was back in 76? I don't think that that machinery has gotten any better.

As for prices, back when I made $41,936.04 per year, a diatonic was $18.90. When I made $12,425.49, they were $5.60, and when I made only $3,681.62, they cost only $1.66. So, if you're really good with figures, you can see that the prices actually haven't changed ...at least percentage wise...at least not for me.

BUT, if a diatonic NOW costs $28.37, I should be making $62,889.06. Well, I don't, I make half that much. But then I am retired and that's the way the cookie crumbles. I can hardly complain when they are actually paying me NOT to come to work. How cool is THAT?

As for the rise in the cost of metals, materials are the deminimus part of the cost equation. Real estate values (for Germany), utilities, transportation, warehousing, distribution, labor, advertising, etc. are all high in Europe. Everyone says that the falling dollar is a bad thing for the U.S. Well it is...in a way, BUT the inflation in Europe is oppressive and those poor folks can hardly afford the day to day expenses.

I would buy an American made harmonica ..IF.. they could do it. But looking at the auto industry as an example, American industry misses the boat. They have NEVER built a car that I wanted. So I am forced to buy third choices. No, I don't think an American made harmonica could be competitive.

smo-joe