Re: [Harp-L] The price of harmonicas - Whoa...Long

Brother Mark,

The price of harps has had a decided increase for over a year. Hohner has had a few increases to where the once humble Big River harps, which could be had for $12 to $15 are now at MSRP/MAP of $20.95 or nearly double. Top end models are well into the thousands...and thousands, of dollars and Euros.

It does show that - a) business is good and b) there are more harmonica players. Additionally, you will note, there is more competition, increased quality harps and more product lines.

Used to be that there were a limited number of choices. Hohner, Huang, Kratt. But times have decidedly changed. Now we see: Bends, Bushman, Hering, Hohner, Huang, Johnson, Kay, Merano, Lee Oskar, Seydel and Suzuki. Collectively their quality and quantity are increasing. And even within brands the commercial 'premier' or "Top-of-the-line" models are rivaling what used to be the exclusive territory of customizers! The Hering "Deluxe" and "Meisterclass" and the new Suzuki "Fabulous" models are moving the (price) bar ever upwards.

Here are some reference sites: (As best as I can find)

Bends - http://www.bends.com.br

Bushman - http://bushmanharmonicas.com/

Hering - http://www.heringusa.com/

Hohner - http://www.hohnerusa.com/ and http://www.hohner.eu/index.php?502

Huang - http://www.frankhuang.com/

Johnson - http://www.johnsongtr.com/

Kay - http://www.kayguitar.com/

Merano - http://www.fishlips3.net/Harmonicas/harmonicas.htm

Lee Oskar - http://www.leeoskar.com/

Seydel - http://www.seydel1847.de/

Suzuki - http://www.suzukimusic.com/harmonicas/

http://www.gluckman.com/ChinaHarp.html

http://reviews.ebay.com/A-GUIDE-TO-HARMONICA-BRANDS_W0QQugidZ10000000002717973

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/

http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/index.html

http://www.spah.org/mc/page.do

http://www.harphouse.com/

http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=12024851&mcat=&cid=&search_params=s+1-p+1-c+-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+Harmonica&search=1

In short the answer is yes the price has increased. And that 'something I need to know about buying harps...' is to buy many and buy often. After all, isn't that why we play? Sort of like any other hobby, like golf or fishing, i.e. the "lures" are there to catch more fishermen than fish. (And any wife, girlfriend or significant other can tell you exactly that! The story goes something like this: My girlfriend asked me if I was going to buy all those harmonicas or "commit". I do love my new set of diatonics and my chromatic. I'm sure gonna miss her. )

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Suave Blues Man

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Earley" <harmonika13@xxxxxxxxx>