Subject: [Harp-L] any good solo pieces

weeeelll....'good" is all in the ear of the listener, and it depends on  what
you want to do. Mine's a slightly different approach than the other  advice
you've gotten thus far.

 If you want to play full 'songs', you can check out Christelle's  YouTube
videos under Christellester...watch and listen to her play along with  actual
songs (all different genres, Blues, Jazz, Rock, Country); check out Jason  Ricci
also, Adam Gussow (both on YouTube): Jason's "Rocket No. 9" CD with his  Band
New Blood is getting a lot of air play here.  There are a lot of  harmonica
players who have CD's out: do you want to play riffs on blues shuffles  (what I
heard on your website?) or do you want to play actual songs?

There are tons of CD's/Youtube videos by the old blues masters: Sonny  Terry,
LittleWalter, Big Walter, Sonny Boy Willamson available to listen to and
watch as well.

There's a terrific album "Inspiration" I have that was compiled by  JJMilteau
with 22 harmonica solos on it ranging from blues on Diatonic to Toots
Thielemans and Stevie
Wonder (Eivets Rednow) on Chromatic.

To my way of thinking, you can play just about anything you want on
harmonica, if you set your mind to it...depends on what kind of music you like.  Most
harp players have their own versions of Summertime; Amazing Grace,  etc.

Perhaps it's a matter of altering your thinking, now that you know how  to
play along with a band. Simply decide that you're going to play an  entire song
from beginning to end...and go for it...be the 'vocalist' of the  Band (didn't
hear if you already had one)...use your harmonica as the "voice"  (at least
that's how I think of it...but I play chromatic and mostly full  songs not
'riffs').

Elizabeth

Message: 8