Re: [Harp-L] the difference between funk and blues

I've been watchin' this thread about  the difference between blues and funk
hoping that somebody would at least talk  about funk music. Yea blues and funk
are similar, it's mainly pentatonic scales  for note choices, but the beat
differences are waaaay different sometimes. If  you can't feel the funk you aint
never gonna play the funk. Sometimes they hang  on the root note for a long
time. Say that the song is in E (great key for funk)  you got the bass player
layin' down a funk groove and the drummer is right there  with him, everybody
else is playing some riff of their own, same key, but  different, repeating this
riff till it comes to the head, or turn around where  it all comes together.
Kind of like playing row row row your boat. Everybody is  doing something
different but it all comes together in the end. I could jam on  funk till my lungs
burst. I luv dat funk. Just let me in, I'll figure out  something that fits
with whatever instrument is sitting there. Cow bell,  timbale's, sax, harp,
bass, whatever.

       With the blues, if you know the rules,  you know the changes, know
when the head is gonna be there, know that if the  song is in E, there is gonna
be an A and a B in there somewhere most of the  time, depending on the song. It
stays the same. There is a lot of room for  improv within the patterns. You
just gotta play long enough to learn the rules  and all the different styles,
then you got it. I love the blues too.
Wrote a song about it.............like ta hear it .......here it
goes..................My wife she done shot me.........and the damned ole cops  they got
me..........but they can't beat the blues from this boy... Oh  no..'cause I
love the blues..........I love 'em like my Grand Daddy's sax....  god I love it
when you scratch my back ah ah...........and the blues they  roll us all over
the flo.......yea yea...... 'cause I love the  blues........Not in that order
but you get my drift dont che?? :-)) It's in G by  the way, but I've been
thinkin' of changing it to C

                Peace Love and Originals
                      Randy
                   BiscuitBoy Blues

         PS I just found out last  night that a very good friend of mine
relapsed and OD'ed ,so I aint right  tonight, forgive me for my ramblings

In a message dated 8/27/2008 9:59:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,