[Harp-L] last.fm as an alternative to myspace/ youtube for musicians with original material

Some of the recent youtube videos suggested have been really good.
I've been 'up' on last.fm for about three months now. I found it by accident looking for internet radio. It is a good system for putting up music because
(1) You can upload as many albums as you want, without restrictions, as long as you own copyright to the music.
(2) People listen to it as a radio station and, this seems to truly work over time as your stuff gets linked by the software to other music. I have had 91 listeners and 362 plays (and only one of those people is me)
(3) The site says you get paid per play, although this hasn't happened yet.
(4) You can make your music available for download if you want.
(5) The site records who has been listening to you, so you find out about your audience.
(6) Listeners can join groups, then tell them about your music - like there are several blues groups for instance and harmonica groups (one of them has a picture of what looks rather like Howard Levy).
(7) If you use the software as a listener and listen to music on your computer then it captures what you listen to and makes intelligent guesses about what else you might like

Only downside is you can't put up copyright music. Oh, and the sometimes alarming pictures people use of themselves.

Richard Hammersley Grantshouse, Scottish Borders http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley http://www.myspace.com/rhammersley http://www.myspace.com/magpiesittingdown