Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harmonic Minor Modes?

Darn good post Winslow, thanks.  I found this on the internet.  It goes so far as to explain my confusion.  I read some place that the minor scale is any scale with a flattened E or Eb.  It appears that point of view is not universal.

A minor scale in music theory is a diatonic scale with a third scale degree at an interval of a minor third above the tonic. While this definition encompasses modes with the minor third, such as Dorian mode, the term may more usually refer only to the natural minor, harmonic minor, and melodic minor scales

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_mode