[Harp-L] SPAH ( better late .....)

Hey list,

Changed e-mails & haven't posted for a while, so here goes.

I was at SPAH from the Tues. night blowoff till Fri Morn. For me, this was
the perfect amount of time. I enjoyed every minute & want to congratulate
all the SPAH folks for another great event.

My impressions:

The blow-off was a great chance to catch up with old friends so I really
didn't hear many of the performances (sorry). Jason Ricci does a tremendous
service putting these things together - try dealing with clubs, soundmen,
equipment, bands, & prima-donna musicians sometime & see if you'd do it more
than once!

James Conway's solo performance at the Wed. show was astounding. James is
amongst the small handfull of guys I'd call a virtuoso. He amazes in many
styles. James is one of the very best players in the world. See him live if
you possibly can, but definetly get his CD.

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned Dale Spaulding yet, but for me his
playing (guitar & harp) & his singing was a highlight - & from a guy I'd
never heard of (my bad.)

Brendan Power showed again that he is an incredible musician, & he made an
altered tuning harp for me at Joe Filisko's teach-in while I watched that I
can actually play. (Second position on 1-6 & first on 7-10.) I never have
been able to get altered tunings before.

My friend Chris Michalek turns out to be a very good teacher, whodathunkit?
He also played what I thought was the sweetest improv harp of the convention
at a late night jam Wed.

For me, the social aspect of SPAH is what keeps me coming, & this year most
of the friends I've made over the years were there. Too many to mention. (We
missed you Johnny B. & Dennis G.) And, as usual, I made a few new friends, &
enjoyed having Tom Albanese as my roomate.

I'm sure Fri & Sat. were fun & informative, but I had to get to a gig &
after a few days of SPAH my mind can't process anymore harmonica anyway.

Sacramento means getting on an airplane, so..... I doubt it. But I usually
change my mind as the dates grow near.
--
Later,
Rosco