Re: [Harp-L] Re: Discussion topic: Why do you want to play blues? long

On Aug 23, 2008, at 5:53 PM, Tall Paul wrote:

Recently I have tried to put those thoughts aside and embrace my love for blues music and playing blues harmonica while also seeking to learn techniques that allow me to play with the many other types of music that I love, and hopefully along the way will develop my own voice on the instrument. That may end up as a blues voice or something else. Thanks to all who have answered this post and to the Groovy Gypsy for making us all think about it.

Paul

Hey handsome. Just got home from the jazz gig. I was going to stay out of this discussion because I can't consider myself a blues player. Although tomorrow night (Sunday) is blues night at the 'Roadhouse'.

First of all, anyone who says blues are easy is wrong. Maybe they are easy to start with, but to get all the nuances takes a while. Life experiences can have an effect. Anyone can get the blues. In my case, I had 3 distinct things. #3, our son was killed by car theives 4 days before Christmas 1994. #2, we had a daughter born with a birth defect (bad liver) in 1975, and finally #1, I had a girlfriend who went call girl while I was in the navy. (wonderful for my ego, huh?)
Eventually her pimp got tired of her and drove her up into Cook's forest (Northern Pa,) and threw her out of the car naked in zero weather. She was found the next morning by hunters. Frozen to the road. That was in 1965. Yes, even an 'olive' complected kid like me can have the blues.

smokey-joe