[Harp-L] Re: I don't want to be a harp player!

I now have to agree with Buddha Chris in not wanting to listen to other harp players for influence.

I thought the solo Jelly Roll Johnson took on chromatic at SPAH was worth listening to and refreshing. There's always Stevie's solos to copy.

Let's stop apologizing for the instrument. The guitar was considered a folk instrument until Segovia's time and even today it is difficult to get an orchestra to perform a Guitar Concerto. Very few guitar players were in Bebop groups in the 50's.

My rule is keep the ship going where you want to musically but if you need to eat, play whatever gig comes along; this does not alter the course of the ship and you can put little jabs in of yourself along the way. If you played a solo like Jelly Roll took on chromatic at SPAH during a blues gig, no guitarist would think of the harmonica as anything but an expressive instrument.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com