Re: [Harp-L] I don't want to be a harp player!

Mike,

I certainly agree with the spirit of what you are saying. I play other instruments and consider myself a musician, at least by calling. I would not bother to play a harmonica unless I thought that it was a musical instrument as much as any other musical instrument is.

I am sorry for your experiences. I was fortunate in that the first band I joined as a harmonica player - many years ago - hired me because of the way I played. They wanted a unique sound, so they didn't want me to sound like anyone in particular. Since that first band, I have never consented to play on any other basis.

Finally, as to how to convince other musicians that you are a musician and not "the harp player": Talk like a musician and walk like a musician and play like a musician. Let people you propose to work with know that you understand music theory. Follow the same rules that apply to other instruments. Contribute musically to the group as others do. And don't play a good harmonica solo, play a good solo.

If you are not pulling your weight in a band, you'll always be spare baggage.

-LM