Re: [Harp-L] I don't want to be a harp player!

In a message dated 8/22/08 9:12:52 PM, diachrome@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> HOW DO WE CONVINCE OTHER MUSICIANS THAT WE "DON'T WANT TO" BE THOUGHT OF AS
> HARP PLAYER?
>
> Some guys I play with respect that I'm trying to play with the same level of
> authority as  guitarists on stage, others have a mentality that the harp is
> supposed to be a background fill instrument with minimalist soloing or played
> with a style of bygone era's. It has it's place but I'm no longer in that
> place. I've happily moved onto the next level.
>
> mike

Looks like you're stuck. IF the band wants background, you do background. If
the band wants lead, you play lead. Unless you're calling the tunes or running
the band. In the meantime, lose those who don't respect what you're doing.

And don't try to convince them; SHOW THEM.

As far as restating the obvious: You're on the right track (and tact) and you
know it.

Everytime I suggest that the harmonica world is not looking for Little Walter
clones and harmonica players that sound like everybody else, I get attacked
for being disloyal to the instrument and a traitor to the harp tradition.

But I think   harp players could take a good lesson from Mike Peloquin -- and
his use of horn lines on the harp. (Witness his horn line seminar at SPAH.)

Just playing sax doesn't make him a better harp player -- for one thing the
fingering is different. But the same phrasing and articulation that works on
the sax can be translated to the harp.

Phil

It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel
deal here.