Subject: [Harp-L] What is the best way to clean rust and corrosion...

read the info on the MAAS polish I've mentioned several times which I  use on
my harps (and other metals/materials/jewelry)...silver, gold, plexiglas,
glass,  etc..it specifically states it's useable for musical instruments
(trumpets, saxophones)...and I have succeeded in removing rust from  underneath
coverplates on old harps...so perhaps it'll work for your  needs as well, without
causing any damage?

 ...I'd begin, however... with the least toxic or corrosive  products...maybe
something household... baking soda on an old toothbrush or damp  cloth first?
  there are websites devoted to using non-lethal  household
products..specifically baking soda;  vinegar, etc...which could  probably tell you more..but I
think it goes without saying that you have to hold  the tube upright and
gently clean the pins downwards...maybe cutting small  strips of material and
weaving them in and around the pins with whatever product  you're using on the
cloth strips...which would necessitate gripping the tube  very gently in either an
extremely well padded vise grip...or have someone hold  it while you work on
the pins...using only the tiniest amount of product which  you can then wipe
off easily.  I don't know if water can be used as a rinse  afterwards...or not,
but again...the tube would have to be held upright...and  probably dried with
cloth or a hair dryer...maybe the finest grade steel wool  could be used as
well, but to my mind that might affect/alter the surface  of the metal itself,
when all you really want to do is remove the  corrosion..

...but the MAAS polish was developed (by a housewife) to be a lot less
toxic/corrosive than other metal cleaners on the market, and I've had great
results with it, although I've bought only the small tubes of paste...not  the newer
liquid in the bottle.  I prefer the control of the paste and use  only the
most miniscule amount on a dampened soft cloth (old t-shirt)  material....

_http://www.amazon.com/Polishing-Creme-For-All-Metals/dp/B001AH8K4U/ref=pd_sbs
_misc_1_
(http://www.amazon.com/Polishing-Creme-For-All-Metals/dp/B001AH8K4U/ref=pd_sbs_misc_1)

Elizabeth