[Harp-L] RE: SPAH (longish?)

I attended SPAH 2008 and it was my first SPAH.  For those who have not attended, it is a total immersion experience.  I can't remember the last time I smiled so much, and it was because everywhere you went there was amazing harmonica music of all varieties, on all kinds of harps, and played well, or sometimes beyond belief!

There was so much support, such excellent instruction and assistance, and such fantastic displays of virtuosity that I am in a state of depression having returned to life as usual.  The leaders at jams, the instrumental accompaniment, the pick up playing in the hallways were fantastic.  The level of harmonica talent was somewhat intimidating, but the support and friendly assistance offered was amazing.  I have never associated with a group in which professionals, semipros, hobbyists, and beginners all worked together to raise the level of playing, helping, supporting, and learning from each other.

I have a list of skills to work on that I learned or became aware of at SPAH: revisiting and mastering tone control on the low note bends, improving the new tremelo I learned on chromatic and diatonic, working on the overblows I learned, embossing reed slots that I learned, playing 12th and 11th position, and so on...

I will always remember Warren Bee successfully engaging people in spinning one time while passing through Jimi Lee's hallway jam!  And Dale!

I thought of listing all the instructors, professional players, and non-professional attendees that made it such an incredible 5 days, but most have already been recognized in previous posts, so I will just say, YES!!! to the previous kudos.

Doug Schroer