[Harp-L] Re: Walter Video

Brian Miller wrote:
You guys are gonna love this. Soon to be released rare Walter.
http://www.legends-of.de/video/dvd3/festival1/c_dvd3_festival1_video_v1.html
Thanks for the tip on this, Brian.
Viewing their web page made me curious, so I dropped a note to another group I belong to, asking about the footage. Mr. Scott Dirks (who occasionally lurks this list, and who is co-author of the exemplary Little Walter's biography) responded to my query. Below is his commentary:
I know a little bit about it - I was among several who contributed liner notes for what looks to be a pretty hefty booklet accompanying the blues releases in this series. (The DVD series will include several releases culled from non-blues Lippman and Rau produced tours in the '60s as well.)

The Little Walter video is from a TV program shot in Germany shortly after the Danish TV program that provided the previously released Hound Dog Taylor & Koko Taylor w/LW footage. In addition to the songs mentioned below with LW fronting the band, he is also featured backing Koko and Hound Dog. All of the others from the '67 AFBF tour are featured as well: Son House, Skip James, and Sonny & Brownie.

At least as interesting if not more so is the footage from the 1968 AFBF tour that will also be released. As far as video is concerned, 1968 was the one 'lost year' from the AFBF tours; although at least two programs were televised (one in Germany and one in England on the BBC), no footage had ever been uncovered until now. That year's tour featured T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker, Jimmy Reed, Eddie Taylor, Big Walter Horton, Big Joe Williams and Curtis Jones, and all are featured on the video. A preview video clip can be seen here:

http://www.legends-of.de/video/dvd3/festival2/c_dvd3_festival2_video_v1.html

Currently these videos are scheduled for October release in Europe only, and only in the PAL format (i.e., not playable on standard US video equipment, which uses the NTSC format.) Unfortunately there is no US distributor right now. A company (which shall remain nameless) that has issued similar DVD releases in the past reportedly turned down the opportunity to release these, stating that they weren't interested in "a bunch of third rate artists."

Scott