[Harp-L] SPAH 2009

Hello Maka,

This is great news that you are already making your plans for next year in
Sacramento CA.! I encourage others from all coasts of all countries to start
thinking about the possibility of making the life changing voyage to a SPAH
convention. The dates next year are:  August 18-22. The Harmonicoots from
Sacramento will be our hosts and they sure put out some awesome energy and
incredible music in St. Louis this year! More specifics and details will be
coming out in the months ahead. As the newest member of the SPAH Board of
Directors I plan on doing my part to make sure that folks like you have
plenty of advanced notice so you can make your decisions and plans as early
as possible. I can't stress enough that the "line-up" of professionals
attending really isn't something that should influence decisions about
coming to a SPAH convention. Every year an interesting and exciting group of
performers from different genres gets invited to entertain us. Sometimes the
final list isn't firmed up until the last few months.  There was talk a few
months ago that the diatonic line-up this year was a little weak. If you
were in St. Louis last week you would realize what a preposterous statement
that was! RJ Mischo, Steve Baker, Pt Gazelle, Brendan Power, Madcat Ruth,
Charlie Musselwhite, Jelly Roll Johnson, Dave Barrett, Dave Moore, Michael
Peloquin, Joe Filisko, Dale Spalding, Winslow Yerxa, James Conway, Jimmy
Gordon, Chris Michalek, Jimi Lee, Buzz Krantz, Michael Rubin etc, etc, etc
surely don't make up a "weak diatonic line-up". The stars that show up are
actually just the icing on the cake anyway. The magic of SPAH comes from the
"family" of harp players that fill up the hotel. The magic of the
professionals comes out much more when they are off of the stage then when
they are on it. The interaction, teaching and jamming opportunities are
non-stop. On top of that there are "no-name" players that show up every year
and just blow us all away. I can't forget to mention the Chromatic, Chord,
Bass and miscellaneous harmonica masters that are also a major part of the
SPAH experience. That line-up this year was incredible as well as usual.
Some of the most magical moments happen when the boundaries disappear and
all of the players no matter what type of harmonica they play, get together
and brew up some serious musical stews! Looking across the blues jam circle
and seeing/listening to guys like Robert Bonfiglio and Charlie Spranklin
rippin' riffs is way cool. Like when you see Wally Peterman wailing on the
chord jamming in the hallway with Jason Ricci. Or even Jason wailing on the
chord with someone else you wouldn't expect!

Bottom Line: Make a plan and then work it out! No matter where you live you
can be a part of the Sacramento Convention next year! Prioritize what really
matters to you and the chances are that the money and time will make
themselves available. You have almost 12 months to git 'er done! Of course I
understand that personal circumstances can make a major trip like a SPAH
convention an impossible reality. Another one of my goals as publicity
director for SPAH will be to help share the fun with everyone that can't
make it. The new website will be a great tool for us to capture and share
the experience with the world!

Warren Bee.at your service.