Re: [Harp-L] Discussion topic: Why do you want to play blues?

Buddha raised a deep question yesterday-- "Why do you want to play the blues?"  I could write a book about that, but will save it for another day.  The basic answer-- blues is me, and I am blues.

Imagine telling Muddy Waters, "You should stretch out; play some jazz, rock, funk, fusion, pop or country. You're too limited in your music."  You wouldn't do it; you know and accept Muddy Waters is (was) a bluesman.  It's the same for the hard core blues lovers, and blues players, in this group; the question seems puzzling because the answer is obvious.

Blues has stirred me, more than any other music, since I counted my age on my fingers alone.  The blues lovers in this group, or those of you who are wondering why we are so passionate about blues, have a look at my two page essay in Blindman's Blues Forum, entitled "My Love Affair With the Blues", here:

http://blindman.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=25790&hl=
or here:
http://tinyurl.com/5czz2v

which says more about the magic of blues than would fit in this harmonica group.

I happen to play harmonica because I got one for Christmas when I was 7. I might have grown up playing another instrument had fate so dictated.  It doesn't matter-- even if my ultimate instrument were oboe, I would constantly be seeking those bluesy notes-- the flatted 7th note; the flatted 3rd note with its infinite gradations, including all the notes that can't be indicated in Western music notation.  If I played piano, I would be looking for notes that reside in the crack between the keys.  I would be syncopating even when it wasn't called for.

As it turns out, I love the sound of harmonica, in all styles, though I play mostly in one.  I'm happy to be in this group, though I don't often post.  I love music in all styles, though I'm partial to black music.

This will get me in trouble: I think there are two subgroups in harp-l; those that "get" blues, and those that don't.  The ones that get blues focus on that aspect of harp playing; the ones that don't focus on everything else.  I hasten to say that those that "get" blues likewise don't always understand other kinds of music discussed in this group.

This will get me in more trouble: some harp-l members have posted sound clips of themselves playing blues; I listen to the clips and often (not always) say to myself, "they've got the form, but they've missed the spirit.  It doesn't really sound like blues". No, I won't name names.  This is my opinion only, and I'm the first to recognize many would think differently.

In the end, the goal should be to play music you love, whatever style that be. Maybe your your own style; never heard before. That will result in more compelling and memorable music than trying to play styles you don't care for.

Cheers,

wolf kristiansen