Re: [Harp-L] Discussion topic: Why do you want to play blues?

Dear Harp-lers

After thinking about this question a bit more I thought to myself that the reason we choose
to play any music is 99.999% emotional.  What music does to us emotionally and spiritually is
something very special to those of us who get to play music.  It tugs at your heart strings.
When African Americans began singing in in the fields and in church, it was a way to sign
through emotional times in their lives.  It was not only a way to talk about hard times but to
laugh at them as well.

Those of us who play blues, or any other music for that matter, understand what it is like to
FEEL the emotion that comes from the music and the harmonica.  But, it never comes from
the harp first, it comes from the music.  It is up to the player to evoke those emotions from
their playing.

Buddah posed the question, Why do you want to play the blues? The reasons are different for
everyone but I would be safe in saying the reasons for playing music should be emotional
and not just a mental exercise.  If it is, your missing the amazing emotions felt that come
from playing any music with your heart first and your head second.

regards,
emotional as always..
Roger Gonzales
Fresno, CA.