[Harp-L] Why Do I Play The Blues

This question is like asking why do you love you wife. There really is no logical answer...it is a gut thing, or something in the heart. I do love the blues, I do love the harp. I am not so sure I can tell you why - though I have a lot of theories, many similar to what people have already said here many times, and not just in this latest thread. There is just something about blues harp that has always been a part of me - I can't remember when it wasn't. Even during the long gaps in my playing over the last 40 years, I still had to have some harps nearby somewhere in my life, usually blown out, banged up and what not since I couldn't afford new harps or something - but there were always there.

I love to play indigenous instruments, like Lakota Flute and Didgeridoo.  They are almost like meditations for me. Harp, on the other hand, is a way for me to let my hair down , to let go, to play from my gut.  It may be one of the only ways I express myself emotiuonally, since I tend to be more in my head. Yet, the harp to me is also a very spiritual instrument because it is also played with the breath. In many cultures, the breath is the source of life energy, and breathing is often used as a meditation or exercise. This is particularly true for me with the didgeridoo which is played continuously using circular breathing. The harp, and particularly diatonic in 2nd position, is unique in that it is the ONLY wind instrument that is played, as far as I can tell, on the inhalation - Inhaling life energy. I believe that is what give blues harp its unique power and appeal - it is not merely just an expression of the experience of living the blues, it
 actually is an expression of life energy itself.

When I listen to any music, blues is always the most expressive to me of life's energy, and blues harp stands out whenever it is played. If I listen to a blues band without harp, it may be great but to me it still lacks something. But just as soon as a harp starts playing, everyone in the room takes notice, assuming it is being played at least decently. The harp adds something powerful to any music. It can overshadow or upstage anyone on the stage (if the amp is strong enough), and one of the responsibilities of a harp player is to not do that...because it is so powerful. Interestingly, it is also one of the easiest instruments to pick up and start playing, even if just Mary Had a Little Lamb, yet one of the most difficult to truly master...perhaps another sign of a powerful instrument, unassuming yet much deeper than many would think. I could go on and on but I think you probably get the point - i LOVE the harp!

- Robert
Learn about the amazing health advantages of eating fresh, whole, organic raw live foods at my website: www.RawFoodLife.com.