Re: [Harp-L] Harp Amp Project: Fender Pro Junior

Rick,

I have this in my files from when I upgraded my Pro Jnr and was looking for similar advice...

"Grab the Jensen Reissue C10Q, its around $30, its IMHO the best 10" speaker
on the market today. It sounds great for harp, and tends to favor the Pro Jr.
in particular. Actually I believe that the Pro Jr. should come stock with
those. The Weber's are good speakers, but they are expensive and some do not jive
well with certain amps (Some with the Pro Jr.). I use a Reissue C10Q in my
Kalamazoo Model 1 and it is by far the best 10" I have used. The odd thing is that
the reissue C10Q's sound better than the originals do!

Andrew"

I'm afraid I can't give "Andrew" any more credit than that since I only kept the text of the message, but I followed his advice with my Pro Jnr and it made a lot of difference.

The usual tube swaps will help as well:
"Pro Jr. tip by Jan van Gastel.
Swapping the two 12AX7 tubes for a 12AU7 (the first one) and a 12AT7 (the second one) the volume knob can be set to about 7-8 now. Before swapping tubes feedback started at 1.5.-2.5.
My additional suggestion: Alternatively, you can use the following swap strategy:
12AY7 1st tube
12AT7 or 12AU7 2nd tube (the AT7 is preferred for stock crystals and the AU7 for hot crystals or magnetic elements)."

Eurotubes offer a full retube kit for harp players:
http://www.eurotubes.com/
"Fender Pro Jr retube kit for harp players
Price: 40.50
Description: Years ago I did a lot of research for tubes that work well for harp players and unlike amps used for guitar a harp amp likes a phase inverter tube that is NOT balanced so this kit includes a matched pair of the JJ EL84's, standard ECC81 for V1 and an ECC832 for V2. This gets you more volume before feedback and good headroom."

Good luck.

Jim