[Harp-L] RE: Discussion topic: Why do you want to play blues? (Buddha)

Interesting topics. In my case I play blues on the harmonica because I love
blues, blues is not the only type of music that I like or play, but when I
play blues harmonica, I do it because I want to and not because of any
limitations on my part or the instrument. I don't think it is an issue of
ability since there are other genres of music that can be as "easy" or
"easier" to play with a diatonic harmonica than blues.  For example Country,
Irish, Folk, Tex-Mex, Rock and even Funk do not present significant
technical challenges on the diatonic harmonica, and in some cases may be
easier play since bending is not required. On the other hand I do play the
harmonica and slide guitar because I love blues and both instruments are
heavily intertwined with the blues.  So in my case the music dictated my
choice of instrument, not the other way around.

As far as why players don't seem to seek an original voice on the
instrument, it may be because in reality there are very few originals out
there, in any instrument or music genre.  For every harp player imitating
Little Walter there are 100 guitar player trying to sound like Hendrix.  I
also don't think that it is a matter of lack of technical ability on the
instrument.  One of the most innovative and original harmonica players in
modern times, Paul Delay, did it all using "standard" harmonica techniques
and positions (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).  I also think it is
important to distinguish between innovative players and players using the
harmonica outside its "traditional" role, sometimes they are the same, but
not always.

My 2 cents.

Gus