Re: [Harp-L] Discussion topic: Why do you want to play blues?

> "Why do you choose to play blues on the harmonica? Because you love
blues or because you love the harmonica and it seems to be heavily
intertwined with blues?"

I listened to the blues heavily for 20 years before I picked up a harp.  So
I'd have to say "because I love the blues".  I used to walk around whistling
12 bar blues solos long before I took up harmonica.  In my mind these were
"guitar" solos.  If I had started playing guitar, I would still have played
the blues.  I dabbled in keyboard for a while shortly before diving into
harp, and I focused on blues piano playing.  So I definitely fall in the
former camp.

Not that I don't enjoy playing country and folk quite a bit.  And I do end
up playing a LOT of funk at open mics, because one of the ones I go to is a
mixture of blues, funky blues, bluesy funk, and funk.  Rock (I'm thinking
Santana?) is a little harder and there I think another instrument would be
easier and more rewarding.  Pop is fun to try and get a good harp part for.
Jazz is beyond me at the moment, not that I wouldn't like to be able to play
it.  And I enjoy trying simple classical pieces (I'm thinking Ode to Joy).
Heck, I've even jammed with a rapper.  But give me one choice for playing or
listening, and I'll go with blues every time.

I'm guessing there's about an even split between blues-loving harp players
and harp-loving blues players.  Is this a discussion topic or a poll?  If
the latter, I've gone on way too long.

Fred S