Re: [Harp-L] Discussion topic: Why do you want to play blues?

As a beginner...

Blues harmonica provides the greatest exposure of harmonica playing for many
people.

You get to hear punctuating bits or rhythm in many different types of music,
but to hear a lot of cool sounding harp, you turn to the blues.

Blues harp, played well, is attractive, expressive and serves as a good hook
into getting people to learn and play.

Once a certain level of technique and comfort and satisfaction is reached,
it seems natural that exploration and risk taking can follow.

I would assume that for a person with a music background he or she would
skip forward to getting familiarized with the instrument and commence trying
to express themselves with it. Others need to figure out what they heck they
are doing and what works and how to stitch it together - copying music you
like to hear helps immensely getting there.

For me, newly on the path of learning music and the harmonica, blues harp
has grabbed my attention and seems to be better suited to my taste than
wanting to learn to play piano like Elton John or the guitar like E. Van
Halen and the music they make with those instruments.

Perhaps when I eventually get (technique/comfort/satisfaction) to interact
and play with others, I'll want to get involved with what they play and
learn something new or be encouraged to find a sound that resonates with me.

-Michael