Re: [Harp-L] Discussion topic: Why do you want to play blues?

If I can remember it was the harmonica that led me to the blues.
First it was John lennon. Then the Rolling Stones. I saw  Paul Jones
do Smokestack lightning on the Red Skelton with these dancers doing this
incredible modern dance. Then I saw Howlin' Wolf and he got me to.

I never tried to sound like anyone but Paul Butterfield was a big
influence. I don't use an old classic mike nor do I use a bassman
amp.

When I teach my approach is to teach harmonica but just as
you said so many want to play in a blues or a rock style.

I have a feeling this might be somewhat the same with electric guitar.

Diggs

>>> Buddha <groovygypsy@xxxxxxxxx> 08/20/08 03:17PM >>>
This is mainly for diatonic players and of course the question doesn't
apply to all.

Why do you choose to play blues on the harmonica? Because you love
blues or because you love the harmonica and it seems to be heavily
intertwined with blues?

I ask this because all of my students come to me wanting to learn
blues but instead I end up just teaching the harmonica in a way where
the student leaves with the ability to play whatever they want. So
far, none of my students are as steeped in blues as they were in the
beginning. Most venture off into jazz, rock, funk, fusion, pop or
country.

So is playing blues an ability issue, "copycat" issue or one of
passion for the genre? Is there a reason players don't seem to seek an
original voice on their instrument? A good example of original voice
is, George Brooks, watch the SPAH jam vids, he sticks out every time
it's his turn to play, even when he plays 2nd position.  Jason Ricci
is another person with an original sound as are Little Walter, Lee
Oskar and Howard Levy etc...