Re: [Harp-L] Discussion topic: Why do you want to play blues?

In a message dated 8/20/08 3:18:38 PM, groovygypsy@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> So is playing blues an ability issue,

Anybody can play the blues if he or she wants to bad enough. It's simply a
matter of putting in the time (aka woodshedding). Playing the blues can't be all
that difficult -- otherwise so many people wouldn't be able to do it. This is
not to say it is simple, but merely achievable.

> "copycat" issue

As any beginner or even intermediate player will tell you, it's a lot easier
to mimic a riff than make one up yourself. This includes hearing a riff on a
classic blues recording as well as riffs on instructional recordings/videos as
well hearing/playing back riffs in a class/workshop/seminar.

> or one of passion for the genre?

Certainly people who play blues like it; otherwise they would play pop,
country or jazz.

> Is there a reason players don't seem to seek an original voice on their
> instrument?
> This goes back to the issue of playing along with established riffs; using a
phrase from Little Walter or somebody else, Sonny Boy I Little Schoolgirl
riff. Or Spoonful riff. It's always easier to sing or play established songs than
it is to invent a new one.

> A good example of original voice is, George Brooks, watch the SPAH jam
> vids, he sticks out every time it's his turn to play, even when he plays 2nd
> position.  Jason Ricci is another person with an original sound as are Little
> Walter, Lee Oskar and Howard Levy etc...

These guys are all topflight players; no question about that. George Brooks
is right up there with the best. To expect the average (whatever that is)
player to come up to that level is Great Expectations, indeed. Not that it is
impossible; just improbable.

Many people are still locked in at that level of playing back what they have
heard. And I don't want to hurt any feelings here -- but many players play the
same riff for every song.

Now if GG is talking about improvising, then the improvising should change
with every song, based on how close the improvisation follows the melody/chord
changes.

Disclaimer: I don't improvise; I just listen.   II don't play out. I don't
overblow, I don't play jazz; I just hack away at standards, pop tunes and
folksongs in my own. Over the years I have taught a basic harmonic class (mostly
first position; no bending). But I sure get tired of hearing the same stuff all
night long -- even on different songs. It's almost like hearing a series of
harmonica bands all pla

It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel
deal here.