To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <celticguitar1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:28 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] bastringue

Winslow wrote:

As to the player-piano bastringue, it appears to be a late 19th century or early 20th century invention. The origin of the word bastringue is unknown, and it has several meanings, so I can't help wondering whether the word already existed and was applied to the instrument, or the other way around.

Glenn & Winslow,

According to the French dictionary 'Le Robert' :

Mots français d'origine néerlandaise

bastringue bas drinken 1799 n amusement

(Ben or Ludo will correct me but,
I think that 'bas drinken' translates from the Dutch as 'to drink a lot'!)

Originally a place to dance

Later meanings were :
an early industrial machine
a noisy vulgar orchestra
a bordello

all these uses are related to 'loud noises'

In modern French slang it describes a honky-tonk piano

hope this helps

http://newhokumsheiks.com