Re: [Harp-L] RE: New Suzuki Harmonicas Prices

I blew a few notes on the Suzi 48. My comments follow:

The slide is very precisely made and very low leakage.

The comb is very heavy because it is made of brass which is even more dense than stainless steel.

The reedplates look extra thick and were plated with what appeared to me to be nickel. I cannot say for sure but they were a dull silver color.

The reeds are spot-welded on and laser-tuned. They said that they will make a jig available for locating drilled screw holes to replace reeds.

They said that the reeds are designed by finite-element-analysis on a computer. IF this is true, it is possible that they are optimized for an even stress distribution which could maximize fatigue life...at least until someone tunes them.

I was impressed by the fact that the notes in hole 12 played easily.

The reedplates are held on by long screws tapped into the opposite plate. The covers are held on by screws and sleeve-nuts similar to a Hohneer 270 or Seydel Chromatic Deluxe. I find this disappointing in a harp of this price because you cannot remove one cover or one reedplate independently.

Biggest plus, IMO, is the precisely-made, low-leakage slide.
Biggest minus, IMO, are welded-on reeds that will be ticklish to replace even with a drilling jig.

I suppose that if you can afford a $2.2k harp, you can also afford a few sets of replacement reedplates to keep on hand.

It is a very nice harp. I'd like to have one.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe and Cass Leone" <leone@xxxxxxxx>