[Harp-L] SPAH 2008 - the diamond age of SPAH and EFF YOU PT Gazell

This was one of the best SPAHs I've attended since my first one in
1991.  Everything was perfect except the back up band for the jazz jam
and some of the acts. The Carol Beth trio rhythm section literally
wrecked William Galison's entire set, frankly, I don't understand how
SHE can play with them and in many ways I suspect she doesn't because
they are so bad. The situation reeked of her "getting her son and his
friend a gig" She wouldn't play not a minute more than 2hours and yet
demanded a 20 minute break.  No band needs a break for a two hour gig.

The talent level of this years convention- wow wow wow!!! So many good
players who turned into great players, Galison noted the same thing
during his saturday night set.  A least five young players who at 14
are much more impressive than many who have been playing for 20 years.

A big F*** YOU to PT Gazell. I think he's better suited to the golden
age of SPAH, he was nice then, and not the player he is today.  His
playing this year was Phenomenol but he is totally out of control now.
 I was enjoying a very nice dinner with Jimmy Conway, Jimmy Gordon,
George Brooks and Rosco Selley when PT came up to our table. He leans
over, places his hands squarely on the table and says "I just want to
say F*** You to everyone here" and then he walked away. We were
stunned to say the least and if I had any fish or ravioli on my plate
I would have flung it at him with all of my might.

Yes, I prefer the PT of yesteryear, the PT of the golden age of SPAH,
the one that never attened SPAH, perhaps then I  could remain
entrenched as one of the more notable diatonic players at the
convention  but instead I'm forced to remain in the shadow of his
brilliant playing. F*** You PT and please go back to your bluegrass
playing, give us young guys a chance.

I didn't hang out at the big Warren and Buzz lead blues jams like most
but what I heard was great and I always tried to stop by and play at
least one solo as long at PT wasn't there.  Instead we had another
intermediate/advanced level jam with Jimmy Lee.  This jam was smaller
and attended by NICE players like Brendan Power, Steve Baker, Randy
Singer, Geroge Brooks, Rodrigo and others I'm failing to remember
(sorry)  I wish I had video or audio of this jam.  Phenomenol playing
by all. It's a such a joy to hear so many different styles and
approaches to the same thing.

The Phil Isko teach in was great. With the exception of Bob Cohen, we
got dozens of people to overblow within seconds utilizing my patented
Shaolin Straw Technique.  Big thanks to TJ and Greg for playing guitar
as everyone at the table learned to play in 11th and 12th positions.
Also the young ones who attended, AMAZING, again it was such a joy to
be around them and watch them learn at such a rapid pace. It's also
very weird for me to hear my licks and sounds being played all over
SPAH.  It's a good thing a suppose as I will now have to work harder
to stay ahead of the curve.

On the last day of the teach in, we worked on phrasing and how to play
funk.  The 17 yr old Kaleena picked it up immediately! "That's so
COOL" she proclaimed. She'd never played in third position before and
by the end of the session she was playing as if she'd been doing it
for years.

I attened the blues jam on saturday night. What a treat!!!  It was one
of the most memorable blues jams of my memories at spah.  RJ Micsho,
James Conway, Geroge Brooks, Brendan Power, David Barret, Warren
Bachman, Buzz Krantz, Joe Filisko, Steve Baker, Rodrigo all in one
circle? Yeppers!!!!  What great music was made. I actually have some
video that I will post to youtube, unfortunately my desktop got blown
up in a storm while I was away so it may be a week or so until I get
it posted.

This SPAH was great and I for one, welcome the dimond age of SPAH.
There simply is no comparison to the "Golden age" in terms of talent
and organization. I can't wait until next year to attend  the
Sacramento SPAH.