[Harp-L] Effects for harp: Using a computer particularly to play live

I've been following the many threads on effects for harp. Some people clearly use complex chains of effects. I read recently that the guitarist John McLaughlin has switched to running his guitar through a laptop (a mac I think) even in live performance. I have been using Garageband (on a mac) quite a lot and you can certainly get some nice digital effects while recording. Another advantage to my ears is that it is possible to get around most of the problems of signal degredation that come with effects pedals etc, even when you put lots of effects in.

Has anyone experience of using a computer for effects to play harp live?

This used to be hazardous because even 10 years ago computers were more fragile and sensitive than today and would pack in under heat stress etc. Also, the processing power meant that effects could not play live without a troublesome delay. I don't think this is true anymore.

Thanks

Richard

Richard Hammersley Grantshouse, Scottish Borders http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley http://www.myspace.com/rhammersley http://www.myspace.com/magpiesittingdown