[Harp-L] RE: Review Danelectro Fab Echo

RE: the Danelectro Fab Echo.
I have to agree with both sides of the Danelectro Fab Echo argument. (Rick Davis pro, Jonathan Ross con) I agree that it does what it does for a minimal price, and I agree that for many harp players it does exactly what we want. I also agree that for other harp players much more is wanted. Hey, this is America! At least until they finish seeding the Supreme Court. But I digress-

I personally prefer a fairly straightforward approach. I want that breakup that is prized in the Chicago style sound. I want a creamy, fat tone that comes with relatively small vintage tube amps. I recently added a Toadworks Meat Jr. to my setup. It gives me a boost, to help me compete with those big guitar amps, and adds a nice creamy thickness to the tone without creating muddyness. I want a clarity that comes from keeping the distortion within bounds. But I also know that the fabulous Chicago sound is not limited to one approach. Just listen to Little Walter. On different songs he sounds like a different guy.

So yes, there is room for ten, twenty, thirty pedals if that is what helps you create the sound you prize. In the end it is your results that matter. Have you expressed something that gives us an opening into your soul? How many pedals and what kind are irrelevant.

But I do like that Danelectro. I just bought one and have started experimenting with it. But why must I turn the repeat all the way down, Rick? I use this pedal very sparingly, but for some songs...

For instance, listen to Muddy Waters doing "I Just Want to Make Love to You" or "I'm Ready." That harp sounds like it's playing in a high school boys' bathroom! (Yes, I am old enough to remember the guys who could sing going to the boys' room to do their acappella harmonies where the reverb was most powerful.) Well, in this version of "same Thing" the echo is powerful and the result is magnificent!

I have only one complaint- It would be nice if it were made of metal. But the price was more than right and they're doing fantastic things with plastic nowadays.

So, Rick, consider really exploring the possibilities of this pedal on different songs with different band configurations, different singers, different moods etc. And Jonathan, don't sell this little thing short. No, it will not make us the Jimmi Hendrix of the harp, but it can help some players create a very effective sound. Go on and electrify the hall with wild and crazy effects, but be open to simpler things as well. You may find that they will inform and strengthen your wilder efforts and provide some balance and pacing to your repertoire.