[Harp-L] 8" speakers

I had a great custom FatDog model 2A amp made by Rob Reynolds for about a year or so. It had 2 8's and one 12 (2x8+12). This amp had awesome tone. When I got it, it came with an extra 4x8 baffle that I was always looking forward to trying out. But the amp always was a feedback monster too. Rob told me that he decided to stop using 8" speakers entirely, and when I asked why he said that they were more feeddback prone. In the meanwhile, he had a 4x10 enclosure sitting around that I bought from him, swapped my FatDog chassis into it and sold my old cabinet on eBay with the 2x8+12 and the 4x8 baffle for much less than I was entirely happy with, but enough to cover the cost of shipping me the 4x10 complete with an assortment of Jensen 10s. I was looking to push more air to compete with some loud guitarists and the 4x10 certainly does that nicely - and it also has great tone, with much much less feedback issues which means I can not only push more air but turn
 the amp up much higher than before. This configurations sounds great, and is much more practical for me, but there was something I must admit about the 2x8+12 that was special tone-wise, something I cannot quite put my finger on. I'd love to try something with 8's again some day and see if there is another way to deal with the feedback issue (I used feedback eliminators, etc, but they did affect the tone). Sorry that you weren't around a couple of months ago when I sold that cabinet - probably just what you were looking for. Contact Rob at FatDog amps - I wouldn't be surprised if he still had some of those 4x8 baffles still sitting around (http://fatdogamps.harmonicagear.com/).

- Robert
Learn about the health advantages of eating fresh, whole, organic raw live foods at my website: www.RawFoodLife.com. Includes fact-filled articles, easy recipes, raw food weight loss, links to related sites and much more!