[Harp-L] Re: 8" speaker lust

Ed wrote:   " Does anyone on this list know of a source for 2x8 or 4x8 enclosures? Recommendations for harp-friendly 8 inch speakers? Any personal observations on using 8s in this kind of high voltage/decibel environment?"
Ed,  I've not tried 8" on a 'high voltage' scale, but I did finish up building a 2 x 8" extension cab.  Just about all the usual guitar speakers are available in 8", and I guess those that work for harp at 10" should be harp friendly in the smaller size.  In Australia, the Jensens and Webers were $100 to $150+ each, so a 4 x 8" would be an expensive cab to build here.  I went with a vintage cab (originally a 'suitcase' style twin speaker cab for a National tape deck of the late 60's) which I upgraded with a couple of old Mangnaflux 30W 15 ohm 8" speakers to give me (almost) 8ohms in parallel.  I use this off my 25W Johnson tube amp, so its definitely not real "high voltage".  Does sound good though (to me anyway!).
If I remember correctly Sonny Jr's Cruncher has a 12" and 2 x 8" in it (and sounds awesome - I've been lucky enough to hear what I think is the only one in Australia).  It might be worth an email to Sonny to ask what he recommends - he seems pretty affable about sharing his knowledge with the list.
Good luck with the 'voicing' chase.  My 10" combo + 2 x 8" cab hangs in against the son's guitar through a 412 cab off 100W amp, but only for the first 1/3 of his volume.  A 4 x 8" cab would be unreal.

Cheers
Maka

      Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7. http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset